Monday, September 04, 2006

LIKE A CHILD ONCE MORE

As I walk into Nan's room, she's asleep, I sit on the chair by her side , and study her face.

Her now tired and sad skin with every wrinkle could tell a thousand tales, everyone she can remember so clearly, but couldn't tell me what day it was.

She wakes and takes a moment to realize who I'm, she then smiles at me,hello my darling its so lovely to see you.

A nurse comes in and gives her some sandwiches, watching her eat is apparent to me how much like a child she has become once more, how tired she becomes just by eating, holding her cup. She holds her sandwich by the crust's and eats the center,saying to me, that's the crusts that I do leave as I cant chew them , just like a child once more.

I show her a new photo of the boys and her whole face becomes alive every inch of her face is a smile,so proud of her grandson and her grandchildren.

I stand up to get a drink and look in the mirror,as I watch the tears fall down my face, I realize she's not always going to be here, I turn to see she has fallen asleep once more, her breathlessness as she seems to fight for every breath, I leave my kiss on her check and go to leave, I turn and say I love you so much Nan.

She replies I love you to sweetheart.

No comments: